This year the CLYLP (Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Project) Comcast Fellowship marks its 11th year of providing undergrad students an opportunity to have first-hand experience of California state government and public policy. Traditionally, fellows spend a month in Sacramento placed in a legislative office, paired with a legislative staff mentor, travel to other regions of California to study pressing issues facing specific geographical areas, learn about California’s technology sector and other aspects of state government. The unprecedented events of this year prevented any in-person gatherings from taking place, but the CLYLP team and legislative offices were quick to pivot to implement the virtual fellowship program. When other internship programs were cancelled, it was important to move forward and offer this year’s ten fellows access to valuable and impactful opportunities to engage with key leaders, grow leadership skills and build community.
Through the Alumni Plática Series, fellows heard from former CLYLP Comcast Fellowship alumni, President of California State University, Fresno Dr. Joseph Castro and key supporter the Honorable Alex Padilla. Comcast California Director of Community Impact and the co-creator of the fellowship program, Lorena Hernandez, introduced the California Secretary of State during the session. “Every year, I look forward to connecting with the new cohort of fellows and alumni—seeing the present and future of Latino leadership represented in one place.” Hernandez added, “At Comcast, we pride ourselves in supporting California’s future leaders through programs like the CLYLP Comcast Fellowship.”
Comcast also hosted a virtual meeting with the fellows for the annual Tech Week. During this session, fellows were able to hear from a few Comcast employees and learn about the telecommunications industry.
Since 2009, over 200 students across California became CLYLP Alumni. Congratulations to this year’s CLYP Comcast fellows!
- Leslie Adame University of California, Los Angeles
- Alejandro Galicia Cervantes University of California, Davis Sacramento
- Brenda Covarrubias Loyola Marymount University
- Leslee Gonzalez University of California, Santa Barbara
- Vanessa Luna University of California, Berkeley
- Jessica Marquez University of Nevada, Reno
- Alyssa Martinez University of Southern California
- Isabella Martinez University of California, Riverside (transferring)
- Fabiola Moreno California State University, San Diego
- Alexandro Olvera University of California, Berkeley